Versatile Writer │ Experienced Managing Editor │ Publication Redesigner
- Over 20 years of senior-level editorial and writing experience at consumer and trade publications.
- Expert at driving production of print and online publications from concept to execution: conceptualize issues; plan editorial calendar; shape content; manage budgets; guide design and all visuals from cover to cover; employ social media strategies to grow audience.
- Broad range of writing subjects includes true crime, music, film, food, travel, politics, education, philosophy, history. science, medicine, sports, technology, and other areas for publications ranging from Traditional Home and Country Home to True Detective and Greater Portland Magazine.
- Over a decade of online experience in blogging and issue-related journalism.
- Developed , managed and mentored a team of writers and editors.
- Writing portfolio available at home.earthlink.net/~xofpi1/.
- Twice led complete redesigns of a trade publication, converting it from a 20-page three-color regional newsletter (circ. 2,000) to an ad revenue-generating 58-page four-color national magazine (circ. 13,000); launched and managed the online version of the magazine.
- Won 2001 Mercury Award for September 11 Special Issue; won 2010 Media Award from Northeast Rehabilitation Association for raising awareness of issues related to disability.
- Supervised editorial and raised quality of writing for True Detective, the legendary and largest circulation true crime publication at the time; also managed editorial for four other true crime publications concurrently.
- Wrote reviews cited in print and on-line ad copy for The Art Instinct by Denis Dutton, The Mad Ones by Tom Folsom, The Adderall Diaries by Stephen Elliot, Murder City by Charles Bowden, and many others.
- Profiled music personalities as wide-ranging as Bebe Buell (actress Liv Tyler’s mother) and Toshiyuki Shimada, the long-serving Japanese conductor and artistic director of the Portland Symphony Orchestra.
United Spinal Association (Jackson Heights, NY) | Managing Editor | October 1995—May 2011
Kirkus Reviews (New York, NY) | Nonfiction Reviewer | October 2008—present
RGH Publishing (New York, NY) | 1990—1995
· Managing Editor | 1991—1995
· Editor | 1990—1991
Freelance Writer (Maine, Connecticut, and New York City) | 1986—1995
Wesleyan University (Middletown, CT) | BA, English | 1990
- Studied nonfiction writing with Annie Dillard | Spring 1988
PC and Mac proficient; MS Office; Photoshop; sInDesign; Insite; Quark XPress; WordPress; Sharepoint; Social Media Strategies (Twitter; Tumblr; Facebook, YouTube); CRM; read French and Spanish; familiar with Chicago and AP style.